In 1902, Henri Chalut, founder of H. Chalut Ltd. was born in St. Andre in the Outaouais region. At 14, he became an apprentice barber for his brother. In 1917, he moved to Montreal to ply his trade and opened his first barbershop a few years later in St. Jerome in the Laurentians.
Finding it difficult to obtain supplies and certain he wasn’t the only one with this problem, Mr. Chalut founded “Parfumerie Chalut Enr.” Located behind his barbershop, this business specialized in hair product distribution. Mr. Chalut traveled throughout Quebec by bus to sell his goods and services and, in 1945, sold his shop to devote all of his time to his distribution company.
In 1960, the company was renamed H. Chalut Ltd. and established a distribution centre in the old Capital of Eastern Quebec.
Chalut, as it was called, was a pioneer in the hair care industry. For instance, in 1950 the company organized Canada’s first hair care convention, which took place in St. Jerome.
Other branches were established so more people could benefit from the widest range of products and equipment on the market.
Three generations later, Chalut has become a part of Quebec history and is proud to share its mission with you.